Bash - which initialization file?
To decide when and which initialization files should be executed, one first has to distinguish between three kinds of invocation :
- login shell
- interactive shell (non-login)
Please keep this in mind when making the distinction:
- login via ssh and text console: login shell
- login via graphic interface: interactive shell
- invocation via shell script: non-interactive shell
Invocation of the scripts:
- login shell: .bash_profile
- interactive shell: .bashrc
- non-interactive shell: neither of the two; instead, the file specified in BASH_ENV will be read in
If you want your .bashrc to be executed both with login shells and interactive shells, write a .bash_profile file containing:
However, you should never execute this in .bashrc, as this would create an infinite lope.